Prof Ismaila Arzika Mungadi
MBBS,FRCSEd, FWACS FMAS, Cert Endourol
Professor of Surgery & Director, TETFund Centre of Excellence in Urology and Nephrology Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto. Nigeria.
Ismaila Mungadi obtained his MBBS degree from the Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto (formerly, University of Sokoto) in 1986, with a Distinction in Anatomy. Mungadi is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Fellow of the West African College of Surgeons and a Fellow of Minimal Access Surgery. Also, Mungadi had training at Mercy Hospital, Cork Republic of Ireland (1996) and Directorate of Urology, University of Sheffield (2005). He was a visiting physician at Department of Urology, Eastern Virginia University Medical School, Norfolk, USA in August 2005. Professor Mungadi had attended several urology courses at Urology and Nephrology Centre, Mansoura, Egypt and had Kidney Transplant Training at Madras Medical Mission, Chennai, India (2013). He has a fellowship Certificate in Endourology and a certificate on Abdominal Ultrasound Imaging. Dr Mungadi won the Latunde Odeku Prize for the Best Candidate in Primary Fellowship Examination in Surgery, National Post Graduate Medical College of Nigeria,1993. He is a Member of Société International deUrologie and Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons.
Born in August 1961 in Maiyama Local Government area of Kebbi State of Nigeria, Mungadi attended the Mungadi Primary School between 1968 and 1974. He proceeded to the famous Kanta College Argungu for his secondary school education, passing the 1979 West African Examinations with a Grade I division
He has to his credit a total of 80 peer reviewed scientific publications, 2 Urology books, 12 book chapters and 78 seminar papers. He had delivered 9 guest lectures at various academic and professional fora. He has successfully supervised 9 PhD/Fellowship theses. This is in addition to supervising more than a hundred residents towards various Fellowship examinations
His Current research interest is in Reconstructive Urology, Intersex, Sex Re-assignment in individuals with Disorders of Sexual Development and Neovaginal Reconstruction on patients with acquired and congenital absence of functional vagina.
Dr Mungadi is the Foundation Editor-in-Chief of the prestigious and PubMed Indexed international journal: Journal of Surgical Technique and Case Report. He was Chairman Medical Advisory Committee of Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital (2002-2007), Provost College of Health Sciences of Usmanu Danfodiyo University (2011 to 2017), City Campus Complex Coordinator(2014-2017) and a member of Usmanu Danfodiyo University Governing Council(2012-2016).
1. Malami Dikko, Shaibu Oricha Bello, Aminu Chika, Ismaila Arzika Mungadi, Yusuf Sarkingobir Sulaiman Aliyu . Determination of Oral Glucose Tolerance (OGT) of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Patients Treated with Tamsulosin in Sokoto State, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Applied Science Research 2020; 9: 33-39(ISSN 1485-8059)
2. Dikko M, Bello SO, Chika A, Mungadi IA, Sarkingobir Y, Umar AI. Effect of Tamsulosin Use on Plasma Insulin Status in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Patients in Sokoto, Nigeria J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Manage 2010; 24 :543- 548
3. AM Sani, II Arif, MM Arshad, IA Mungadi, KG Soh, KL Soh. Women With Amenorrhea and Men With Menstruation: The Qualitative Experiences of People With Disorders of Sex Development in Nigeria. J Nurs Res. 2020 Feb;28(1):e67.
4. Ngwobia Peter Agwu, Ismaila Arzika Mungadi. Oral ucosal Grafts in One-stage Urethroplasty for Panurethral Strictures Int J Surg Med. 2020; 6(2): 0-0 DOI:10.5455/ijsm.panurethral-strictures-complication
5. Ngwobia P. Agwu, Abdullahi A. Ahmed, Abubakar S. Muhammad, Ismaila A. Mungadi, Emmanuel U. Oyibo, Mairo Hassan Management of complex genital fistula: experience in a tertiary sub-Saharan hospital International Surgery Journal, 2020 Vol 7, No 4 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2349-2902.isj20201379
6. Muhammad AS, Mungadi IA, Darlington NN, Kalayi GD. Effectiveness of bladder tumor antigen quantitative test in the diagnosis of bladder carcinoma in a schistosoma endemic area. Urol Ann 2019;11:143-8.
7. Abdullahi Abdulwahab-Ahmed, Ahmed M Umar, Uzodimma E Onwuasoanya, Emmanuel U Oyibo, Adamu Dahiru, Ismaila A Mungadi. The pattern of urine cytology among patients with clinical diagnosis of bladder tumour in a tertiary hospital Northwest Nigeria. International Surgery Journal 2019;6: 3521-3524 (ISSN 2349-2902).
8. Muhammad, A.S., Agwu, N.P., Abdulwahab-Ahmed, A., Abdullahi, K., Abdullahi, K., Umar, A.M. and Mungadi, I.A. Metastatic Cervical and Supraclavicular lymphadenopathy from Prostate Mimicking Lymphoma: A Case Series. Open Journal of Urology 2019 ; 9: 93-101.
9. Abubakar Sadiq Muhammad, Ngwobia Peter Agwu, Abdullahi Abdulwahab-Ahmed, Khalid Abdullahi, Kabiru Abdullahi, Ahmed Mohammed Umar, Ismaila Arzika Mungadi. Metastatic cervical and supraclavicular lymphadenopathy from prostate mimicking lymphoma: A case series. Open Journal of Urology 2019;9:93-101. (ISSN 2160-5440).
10. AgwuN. P., Khalid A. and Mungadi I. A. . Retained Urethral Catheter: Novel Method of Removal Using Trans-rectal Ultrasound Guidance Asian Journal of Research and Reports in Urology 2019; 2:1-5
11. Ngwobia P. Agwu, Abdullahi Abdulwahab-Ahmed, Abubakar Muhammad Sadiq, Emmanuel U. Oyibo, Ismaila Arzika Mungadi Management of Impacted Urethral Calculi: An Uncommon Cause of Acute Urine Retention in North-western Nigeria. International Journal of Clinical Urology. 2019; ISSN: 2640-1320
12. Muhammad AS, Abdullahi AA, Agwu NP, Mungadi IA. Urologic day-care surgery in a Tertiary Hospital in Nigeria: A 4-year review. Sahel Med J 2019;22:214-8
13. AM Sani, KL Soh, IA Ismail, MM Arshad, IA Mungadi, SL Yau, KG Soh.Experiences of people living with disorders of sex development and sex reassignment: Meta‐ethnography of qualitative studies.J Advanced Nurs 2019 75 (2), 277-290
14. Muhammad AS, Agwu NP, Abdulwahab-Ahmed A, Abdullahi K, Mungadi IA. Safety and efficacy of ultrasound-guided percutaneous suprapubic cystostomy in resource-poor setting: A 7-year review. Urol Ann 2018;10:24-8
15. Abdullahi Abdulwahab-Ahmed, Ahmed M Umar, Abubakar S Muhammad, Ngwobia P Agwu, Ismaila A Mungadi. The pattern of ureteroscopy in a tertiary health care facility, North-Western Nigeria. Savannah Journal of Medical Research and Practice 2018;7(1):17-22.
16. Abubakar Sadiq Muhammad, Ngwobia Peter Agwu, Abdulwahab- Ahmed Abdullahi, Garba Yunusa, Khalid Abdullahi, Ismaila Arzika Mungadi. Use of Transrectal ultrasound in the management of urologic diseases. Niger Postgrad Med J 2018; 25:172-6. ISSN:1117-1936
17. Muhammad AS, Mungadi IA, Kalayi GD. Effectiveness of Bladder Tumour Antigen Quantitative test in Diagnosis of Bladder Cancer in Schistosoma Endemic Area. Urol Ann 2019;11:143-8ISSN:0974-7834
18. Muhammad AS, Mungadi IA, Kalayi GD. Effectiveness of Bladder Tumour Antigen Quantitative test in Diagnosis of Bladder Cancer in Schistosoma Endemic Area. World J. Urol 2016;34(1):89 ISSN 0724- 4983 (abstract)
19. AS Muhammad, NP Agwu, A Abdulwahab-Ahmed, SM Sahabi, N Abubakar, I Mungadi. Clinico- Morphological Spectrum of Genito-Urinary Schistosomiasis in Sokoto, North- Western Nigeria. Abstacts of papers presented at the 12th annual scientific conference of the national postgraduate medical college of Nigeria. 2017 Niger Postgrad Med J 2017;24:257-75 (Abstract) ISSN:1117-1936
20. Muhammad AS, Mungadi IA, Ndodu ED, Kalayi GD. Performance of Urinary Survivin as a Non-invasive Molecular Marker of Bladder Carcinoma in Schistosomiasis Endemic Area. Ghana Med J 2018:52(2):74-78. ISSN:0016-9560
21. Abdulwahab-Ahmed A, Agwu PN, Sadiq MA, Mungadi IA. Infective complications of transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy. Caliphate Medical Journal 2013; 1(1): 54. (ISSN 2346-7193). -Ab
22. Ngwobia P. Agwu, Abdullahi Abdulwahab-Ahmed, Emmanuel Oyibo, Ismaila A. Mungadi. Partial Penile amputation: Case report and review of literature. Caliphate Medical Journal 2014;2:172. (ISSN 2346-7193).
23. Muhammad AS, Agwu PN, Abdulwahab-Ahmed A, Abubakar SB, Musa AU, Mungadi IA. Pattern of presentation and management outcome of priapism in Sokoto. East Cent Afr J Surg 2017;22(1):66-71. ISSN:2073-9990
24. A. Sadiq Muhammad, Abdullahi Abdulwahab-Ahmed, Ngwobia P Agwu, Khalid A ,Ismaila A Mungadi. Management of obstructive nephropathy in a tertiary hospital of North- Western Nigeria: A 5-year review. East Cent Afr J Surg 2017;22(3):42-48. ISN:2073-9990
25. A Abdulwahab-Ahmed, IA Mungadi, VM Ramyil, NK Dakum. Efficacy of tamsulosin and tenoxicam combination in the management of lower urinary tract symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Caliphate Medical Journal 2015;3:314-7. (ISSN 2346-7193).
26. A Abdulwahab-Ahmed, IA Mungadi. Transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy in the diagnosis of prostatic diseases in Sokoto Northwest Nigeria. Savannah Journal of Medical Research and Practice (SJMRP) December, 2016; 5:64-70.
27. Muhammad AS, Abdulwahab- Ahmed A, Agwu NP, Khalid A, Alhassan A, Mungadi IA. Pattern of presentation and management of benign upper urinary tract obstruction in Sokoto Northwestern Nigeria. Savanna Journal of Medical Research and Practice. 2016;5(2):80-84. ISN:2276-6839
28. Nnamah N K , Anaja P O, Mungadi IA, Bilbis LS, Dallatu M K . Prostate specific antigen (PSA) and sarcosine levels In Patients With Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) Disorders In Sokoto, Nigeria. Am. J. PharmTech Res. 2016; 6(2): 358-365
29. Nnamah N K , Anaja P O, Mungadi IA, Bilbis LS, Dallatu M K . Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) Derivatives for Diagnosis of Prostate Cancer and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Subjects in Sokoto, Nigeria. J J Intern Medicine. 2016, 2(1): 019
30. Nnamah N K , Anaja P O, Mungadi IA, Bilbis LS, Dallatu M K . Serum Sarcosine and PSA Levels in Patients With Prostate Cancer in Sokoto, Nigeria. Journal of Nursing and Health Science 2016; 5: 63-67
31. As Muhammad, NP Agwu, A Abdulwahab-Ahmed, SB Abubakar, Au Musa, IA Mungadi. Pattern and management of priapism in a tertiary hospital of North-West Nigeria. East Central Africa Journal of Surgery 2017;22:66-71. (ISSN 2073-9990).
32. Isah RT, Sahabi SM, Adamu SN, Muhammad AT, Mungadi IA Histopathological Pattern Of Renal Tumours Seen In Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, Nigeria. African Journal of Cellular Pathology 2013:1:9-13
33. Nnamah N K , Anaja P O, Mungadi IA, Bilbis LS, Dallatu M K. Evaluation of Serum Sarcosine, Total and Free Testosterone Levels in Patients with Prostate Disorders in Sokoto, Nigeria. British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research 2016 15(12): 1-8,
34. Nnamah N K , Anaja P O, Mungadi IA, Bilbis LS, Dallatu M K . Preliminary Reference Values of Serum Sarcosine, Prostate Specific Antigens And Testosterone in Apparently Healthy Males in Sokoto, Nigeria. Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences 2016, 15: 112-114
35. Agwu PN, Muhammad S, Mungadi IA. One stage oral graft urethroplasty for pan urethra Strictures. World J. Urol 2015;33(1):30 ISSN 0724- 4983 (abstract)
36. Abdulwahab-Ahmed A, Mungadi IA. Techniques of male circumcision. J Surg Tech Case Report 2013;5:1-7
37. Mungadi IA. Bioengineering Tissue for Organ Repair, Regeneration, and Renewal. J Surg Tech Case Report 2012;4:77-8
38. Mungadi IA. Refinement on surgical technique: role of magnification. J Surg Tech Case Report 2009;2:000
39. Ntia, I. O., I. A. Mungadi, and N. P. Agwu. "Management Of Anorectal Malformation In Children: A 10 Year Experience In Sokoto, Nigeria." Sahel Medical Journal 10.4 (2008): 128-131.
40. Agbo, P. S., I. A. Mungadi, H. U. Liman, and M. Oboirien. "Varicocele: Management and the continuing controversies." Sahel Medical Journal 13, no. 2 (2011).
41. Abdulwahab-Ahmed A, Mungadi IA, Ramyil V2, Dakum N2Efficacy of Combination Therapy with Tamsulosin and Tenoxicam in the Management of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Due to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) S76 UROLOGY 80 (Supplement 3A), September 2012
42. I.A. Mungadi, Y. Ahmad, G.H. Yunusa, P.T. Agwu, S. Ismail , Mayer- Rokitansky- Kuster- Hauser Syndrome: Surgical management of two cases J Surg Tech Case Report 2009;2:000
43. Mungadi I A, Legbo J N and Sada K. Disorders of sexual Development: Managing some adulst in a Nigerian Centre. UROLOGY 2009; 74:S92
44. Mungadi IA. The birth of Journal of Surgical Technique and Case Report J Surg Tech Case Report 2009;1:2
45. Mungadi IA, Ugboko VI. Oral Mucosa Grafts For Urethral Reconstruction. Ann Afr Med 2009;8:203-209
46. Rahman G. A, I. A Mungadi: Surgical trainee’s understanding of Duke’s staging in Rectal Cancer. Nig J Med 2009;18:75-78
47. Ntia I. O, I. A Mungadi. Penile Injuries. Annals of African Medicine( Accepted 2008)
48. Ntia I. O, I. A Mungadi, Pattern of Penile gangrene in Sokoto, Nigeria. African Joural of Urology 2007 ; 13 :188-194
49. I A. Mungadi, N A. Attahiru and *S A. Saidu. VESICAL GOSSYPIBOMA MIMICKING CALCUCUS: A REPORT OF TWO CASES African Joural of Urology 2007 ; 13 :136-138
50. Mungadi I. A, Ntia., Watering Can perineum Management in a Nigerian Centre. E Afr Med J 2007 ; 84 : 283-286
51. Malami SA. Pindiga UM, Abimmiku BA, Mungadi IA, Abdullahi AD, Dauda A, Sahabi SA. A Discriptive Retospective Study of the Pattern of Malignant Diseases in Sokoto, North Western Nigeria.(1999-2004). J Med Sci 2007;7:1033- 1038
52. , S. A. Malami I. A. Mungadi. ANALYSIS OF TURN-AROUND TIMES FOR INTERNAL QUAKLITY CONTROL IN CYTOPATHOLOGY. Journal of Med in the Tropics 2006 ;8:23-29
53. Mungadi I. A, Malami SA Urinary bladder cancer and schistosomiasis inNorth Western Nigeria. W Afr J Med 2007; 26 : 226-229
54. Mungadi I. A., Mbibu N. N. Current concepts in the Management of anterior urethral stricture. Nigerian Journal of Surgical Reseach 2006; 8: 103-110
55. Ntia I. O, I. A Mungadi . Eeperience With Ventral Penile Skine Island Flap Urethroplasty Nigerian Journal of Surgical Reseach 2006; 8: 155-157
56. Mungadi I. A, Ntia I. O, Lgbo J. N, Abubakar U.: Audit of Nephrectomy by general surgeon. Nigerian Journal of Surgical Reseach 2005; 7 :256-259
57. Mungadi I. A, Ntia I. O, Opara W. Ek, Sani A. A: Urolithiasis in Sokoto, North Western Nigeria. Sahel Medical Journal 2006 ; 9 :10-14
58. Rahman G. A, I. A Mungadi: Surgical trainee’s understanding of Duke’s staging in Rectal Cancer. Niger J Med (Accepted 2007)
59. Mungadi I. A. Quality Surgical Care for rural dwellers: the visiting option.v Trop Doct.2005; 35: 151-153
60. Mungadi I. A. Civilian gunshot injuries Nigerian Journal of Surgical Research 2004; 6: 96-99
61. Amole A. O., Ugboko V. I, Oguntoyinbo A. E, Mungadi I. A. Radiological evaluation of spinal trauma in adults: the upper cervical spine Postgraduate Doctor Caribbean 2003: 19: 172 - 178
62. Mungadi I. A., U. Abubakar Pattern of Paediatric Trauma in North Western Nigeria. Sahel Medical Journal 2004: 7; 32-35
63. Mungadi I.A., A. O Amole, U. H. Pindiga Primary Hyperparathyroidism presenting with Pathological Fractures and Normocalceamia Annals of African Medicine 2004 ;3: 42-44
64. A. M. Abubakar, Mungadi I.A., J.Y. Chinda, I. O Ntia, I Jalo, S. K. Obianno Paediatric Urolithiasis in Northern Nigeria. African Journal of Paediatric Surgery 2004; 1 : 2-5
65. Mungadi I. A., Jabo B. A., Agwu N. P. A Review of Appendicectomy in Sokoto. North-Western Nigeria. Niger J Med. 2004; 13: 240-3
66. Mungadi I. A. Childhood fall from Heights in Sokoto, Nigeria. Sahel Medical Journal 2003;7: 26-28
67. Mungadi I. A. Chilhood burn injuries in North-Western Nigeria. Niger J Med. 2002; 11: 30-2
68. G. A. Rahman, Mungadi I. A. Chldhood Intussesceptions in Ilorin, Nigeria. Sahel Medical Journal 1999; 2: 86-88
69. G. A. Rahman, Mungadi I. A. Spontaneous Rapture of an incisional hernia Sahel Medical Journal 1999; 2: 57-58
70. Rahman G. A, Mungadi I. A Gangrenous bowel in Nigerians. Cent. Afr J Med. 2000 ; 46: 321-4
71. Mungadi I. A: Re: Influence of Nitrate level in drining water on Urologic Malignancies; A community base cohot study. BJU International 1997 ; 97 : 1350-1352
72. Mungadi I. A. Spectrum And Challenges Of Elective Reconstructive Urologic Operations In Sokoto, Nigeria. Urology 200 ; 70(3A) :171-172
73. Mungadi I. A, Ntia I. O. Initial experience and Challenges of Urethroplasty in a new Urology unit in Nigeria Urology 2006 ; 68(5A) :248-249
74. Mungadi I. A: Tension Free – interlocking “S” suture for the repair of Inguinal hernias. Nig. J. Surg. 2004; 10:33
75. Malami S. A., Mungadi I. A. , Pindiga U. H, Abimiku BA Cancer Registration in a developing country: problems and prospects of the new UDUTH Cancer Registry, Sokoto, Nigeria. Trop Doct. 2004; 126-7
76. Mungadi I. A, Jabo B, Agwu N. P: Once in a lifetime: Cervical Chylou, fistula following lymph node biopsy. Nig. J. Surg. 2004; 10:32
77. Mungadi I. A. Indications and results of right Hemicolectomy in Ilorin, Nigeria Trop Doct. 2001; 31 : 58
BOOKS78. I A Mungadi, NH Mbibu and E Eltahawy. (Eds) Manual of Medical Treatment In Urology( JayPee Publishers, Delhi, India)
79. Mungadi, I A. Intersexuality, Gender And Sex Reassignment: A Fascination In Urologic Reconstruction, Inaugural Lecture, August 2015, ISBN 978-978-900-733-1
80. Mungadi I A and Agwu N P . Oral Mucosa Graft, Skin Grafts - Indications, Applications and Current Research, Marcia Spear (Ed.), InTech, Rijeka 2011, 97-116 DOI: 10.5772/21911. Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/skin-grafts-indications-applications-and-current-research/oral-mucosa-graft
81. Mungadi I A, Eguma S, Abdulwahab-Ahmed A. Medical treatment of Pain In Mungadi IA et al (Editors), Manual of Medical Treatment in Urology.. 1st edn. JAYPEE, New Delhi 2014: 4-12
82. Mungadi I A, Liman HM, Abdulhameed A. Antimicrobial Therapy. In Mungadi IA et al (Editors), Manual of Medical Treatment in Urology.. 1st edn. JAYPEE, New Delhi 2014: 13-39
83. Mahdi A, Mungadi I A. Medical Treatment of urinary Incontinence. In Mungadi IA et al (Editors), Manual of Medical Treatment in Urology. 1st edn. JAYPEE, New Delhi 2014: 51-61
84. Mungadi I A, Shittu OB, Abdulwahab-Ahmed A. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia In Mungadi IA et al (Editors), Manual of Medical Treatment in Urology. 1st edn. JAYPEE, New Delhi 2014: 62-70
85. Eltahawy E,Mungadi I A, Medical treatment of Urolithiasis. In Mungadi IA et al (Editors), Manual of Medical Treatment in Urology. 1st edn. JAYPEE, New Delhi 2014: 71-81
86. Mbibu NH,Mungadi I A. Miscellaneous Use of Drugs In Mungadi IA et al (Editors), Manual of Medical Treatment in Urology. 1st edn. JAYPEE, New Delhi 2014: 82-88
87. Mungadi I A, Mbibu NH, Abdulwahab-Ahmed A. Renal Cell Carcinoma. In Mungadi IA et al (Editors), Manual of Medical Treatment in Urology. 1st edn. JAYPEE, New Delhi 2014: 89-93
88. Mungadi I A, Kamel MH, Agwu NP. Bladder Cancer. In Mungadi IA et al (Editors), Manual of Medical Treatment in Urology. 1st edn. JAYPEE, New Delhi 2014: 94-112
89. Mungadi I A, Shittu OB, Abdulwahab-Ahmed A. Prostatic Cancer. In Mungadi IA et al (Editors), Manual of Medical Treatment in Urology. 1st edn. JAYPEE, New Delhi 2014: 113-124
90. Mungadi I A, Salako AA. Testicular Cancer. In Mungadi IA et al (Editors), Manual of Medical Treatment in Urology. 1st edn. JAYPEE, New Delhi 2014:125-136
91. Mungadi I A, Abdulwahab-Ahmed A. Squamous Cell Carcinoma. In Mungadi IA et al (Editors), Manual of Medical Treatment in Urology. 1st edn. JAYPEE, New Delhi 2014: 137-141