DR Muhammad Bashir Bello
DVM, MSc. PhD
Professor of Surgery & Director, TETFund Centre of Excellence in Urology and Nephrology Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto. Nigeria.
Dr. Muhammad Bashir Bello is an experienced researcher in Molecular biology, Comparative Genomics and Vaccine Development. He obtained his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree from Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, MSc. Degree in Vet. Microbiology (Virology) from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria and PhD degree in Immunobiology from Universiti Putra Malaysia. During his PhD candidature, he filed a patent (Intellectual property) for a recombinant Newcastle disease virus vaccine he developed using reverse genetics technology. Considering his undiluted passion for research and quest of knowledge, Dr. Bashir participated actively in several research works involving host-virus interactions, molecular epidemiology of transboundary viral diseases as well as the generation of rationally designed vaccines using the platforms of virus like particles (VLPs), recombinant viral vectors and reverse genetics
Dr. Bashir is well trained in several cutting edge laboratory techniques including Conventional and Real time PCR, CRISPR-Cas9 genome editing, Molecular cloning, Flow cytometry, Fluorescence Microscopy, Cell culture, transfections, protein expression studies as well as Bioinformatics among ohers. Dr. Bashir is also a recipient of several academic awards and scholarships such as the Overall winner of the 2016 Universiti Putra Malaysia Three minute thesis (3-MT) Competition, Malaysia International scholarship (MIS) and Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) to mention but a few. He has won a number of competitive research grants as either a principal investigator or a Co-researcher including the TETfund COVID-19 special Intervention research grant. He teaches and supervises research work in the areas of Immunology, Virology, Molecular genetics, Molecular epidemiology and Vaccinology at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. To date
Dr. Bashir has published many papers in peer reviewed high impact journals and also presented several papers at both local and international academic gatherings. Currently, he is a member of World Society for Virology (WSV), International Veterinary Vaccinology Network (IVVN), Nigeria Veterinary Medical Association (NVMA), Nigeria COVID-19 Research Consortium (NCRC), Interim Committee on UDUS Grants Management Office (GMO), Standing Committee on Infectious Diseases (SCID) in UDUS, Management Committee of UDUS City Campus Central Research Laboratory as well as the Coordinating Committee, Center for Advanced Medical Research and Training (CAMRet) Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto.
1.Muhammad Bashir Bello, Siti Nor Azizah Mahamud, Khatijah Yuso, Aini Ideris, Mohd Hair-Bejo, Ben P. H. Peeters and Abdul Rahman Omar (2020). Development of an Effective and Stable Genotype-Matched Live Attenuated Newcastle Disease Virus Vaccine Based on a Novel Naturally Recombinant Malaysian Isolate Using Reverse Genetics. Vaccines, 8, 270. doi.org/10.3390/vaccines8020270
2. Muhammad Bashir Bello, Khatijah Yusoff, Aini Ideris, Mohd Hair-Bejo, Ben P. H. Peeters and Abdul Rahman Omar (2020). Exploring the Prospects of Engineered Newcastle Disease Virus in Modern Vaccinology. Viruses 2020, 12, 451. doi.org/10.3390/v12040451
3. Oday A. Aljumaili, Muhammad B. Bello, Swee K. Yeap, Abdul R. Omar and Aini Ideris (2020). ‘Protective efficacy of inactivated Newcastle disease virus vaccines prepared in two different oil-based adjuvants’, Onderstepoort Journal of Veterinary Research 87(1), a1865.
4. Mansur Sani, Mahmuda Aliyu, Tukur Adamu, Aminu Sanda and Muhammad Bashir Bello (2020). Histopathological studies on the Effects of Ethanolic Leaf Extract of Senna italica Treatment of Rats Infected with Hymenolepis diminuta. Journal of Advances in Biology & Biotechnology, 23(2): 38-47, DOI: 10.9734/JABB/2020/v23i230142
5. Gaddafi, M. S., Yakubu, Y., Garba, B., Bello, M. B., Musawa, A. I. and Lawal, H (2020). Occurence and Antimicrobial Resistant Patterns of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) Among Practicing Veterinarians in Kebbi State, Nigeria. Folia Veterinaria, 64, 4: 55—62, 2020
6. Muhammad Bashir Bello, Khatijah Yusoff, Aini Ideris, Mohd Hair-Bejo, Ben P. H. Peeters and Abdul Rahman Omar (2018). Diagnostic and vaccination approaches for Newcastle disease virus in poultry: the current and emerging perspectives. BioMed Research International. Article ID 7278459, 18 pages. doi.org/10.1155/2018/7278459
7. Muhammad Bashir Bello, Khatijah Yusoff, Aini Ideris, Mohd Hair-Bejo, Ben P. H. Peeters, Abdulrahman Jibril Hassan, Farouk Muhammad Tambuwal and Abdul Rahman Omar (2018). Genotype diversity of Newcastle disease virus in Nigeria: Disease control challenges and future outlook. Advances in Virology. Article ID 6097291, 17 pages. doi.org/10.1155/2018/6097291
8. M. B. Bello, H. M. Kazeem, S. B. Oladele, M. Y. Fatihu, F. M. Tambuwal and A. H. Jibril (2018). Seroprevalence of peste des petits ruminants among unvaccinated small ruminants in Sokoto State, northwestern Nigeria. Comparative Clinical Patholology, 27: 1141. doi.org/10.1007/s00580-018-2711-8
9. Mohammad Zareian Jahromi, Muhammad Bashir Bello, Mostafa Abdolmaleki, Swee Keong Yeap, Mohd Hair-Bejo and Abdul Rahman Omar (2018). Differential activation of intraepithelial lymphocyte-natural killer cells in chickens infected with very virulent and vaccine strains of infectious bursal disease virus. Developmental and Comparative Immunology, 87:116-123. doi: 10.1016/j.dci.2018.06.004
10. Mostafa Abdolmaleki, Swee Keong Yeap, Sheau Wei Tan, Dilan Amila Satharasinghe, Muhammad Bashir Bello, Mohammad Zareian Jahromi, Mohd Hair Bejo, Abdul Rahman Omar and Aini Ideris (2018). Effects of Newcastle Disease Virus Infection on Chicken Intestinal Intraepithelial Natural Killer Cells. Frontiers in Immunology, 9:1386. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.01386
11. Alimi O.A., Bello M.B., Baraya Y.S., Raji A.A., Bashir S., Bello A., Abdulkadir S.Z. & Shoyinka S.V.O. (2018). Obstructive urolithiasis in a 11/2 – year old Ouda–Yankasa ram: case report. Journal of Tropical Agriculture, Food, Environment and Extension, 17(1): 53-56. DOI: 10.4314/as.v17i1.7
12. A.I. Isiaku, M.Y. Sabri , M.Y. Ina-Salwany, M.D. Hassan , P.N. Tanko , M.B. Bello (2017): Biofilm is associated with chronic streptococcal meningoencephalitis in fish. Microbial pathogenesis, 102, 59-68. dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.micpath.2016.10.029
13. Ibrahim Malami, Ahmad Bustamam Abdul, Rasedee Abdullah, Nur Kartinee Bt Kassim, Rozita Rosli, Swee Keong Yeap, Peter Waziri, Imaobong Christopher Etti, Muhammad Bashir Bello (2017): Crude Extracts, Flavokawain B and Alpinetin Compounds from the Rhizome of Alpinia mutica Induce Cell Death via UCK2 Enzyme Inhibition and in Turn Reduce 18S rRNA Biosynthesis in HT-29 Cells. PLoS One, 19;12(1):e0170233. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0170233
14. Abdurrahman Hassan Jibril, Muhammad Bashir Bello, Sanusi Muhammad Bello, Yusuf Saheed, Fatima Muhammad Balla (2016). Biosecurity Measures and Constraints Among Rural Poultry Farmers in Zamfara State, Nigeria. Animal and Veterinary Sciences, 4(4): 47-51. doi: 10.11648/j.avs.20160404.11
15. RM Aliyu, MB Abubakar, Y Yakubu, AB Kasarawa, N Lawal, Bello, M. B., AY Fardami (2016). Prevalence of potential toxigenic Aspergillus species isolated from poultry feeds in Sokoto metropolis. Sokoto Journal of Veterinary Sciences, 14(1): 39-44 (Short communication)
16. A. H. Jibril, J. U. Umoh, J. Kabir, L. Saidu, A. A. Magaji, M. B. Bello, and A. A. Raji (2016). Newcastle Disease in Local Chickens of Live Bird Markets and Households in Zamfara State, Nigeria. ISRN Epidemiology, Article ID 513961, 4 pages
17. Rabiu Muhammad Aliyu, Mikaeel Bala Abubakar, Adamu Bello Kasarawa, Yakubu Umar Dabai, Nafi’u Lawal, Muhammad Bashir Bello, Aminu Yusuf Fardami (2015): Efficacy and phytochemical analysis of latex of Calotropis procera against selected dermatophytes. Journal of Intercultural Ethnopharmacology, 4(4): 314–317
18. A. H. Jibril, J. U. Umoh, J. Kabir, M. M. Gashua, and M. B. Bello (2015): Application of participatory epidemiology techniques to investigate Newcastle disease among rural farmers in Zamfara State, Nigeria. Journal of Applied poultry research, 24: 233–239. doi.org/10.3382/japr/pfv012
19. Alkali, B. R., Bello, M. B., Hussaini, S., and Onwuliri C. O. (2015): Serological evidence and public health implcation of Hepatitis E virus infection in pigs found in Zaria, Kaduna State. African Journal of Microbiology Research, 9(46), 2270-2274
20. Abdurrahman Hassan Jibril, Hameed Garba Sharubutu, Bello Rabiu Alkali, Bashir Muhammad Bello and Abdullahi Abdullahi Raji (2015): Survival of Mycobacterium bovis following heat treatment of infected tissues obtained from slaughtered cattle in Sokoto metropolitan abattoir. Journal of Bacteriology and Parasitology, 6, 254
21. A.A. Raji, M.B. Bello, Y.S. Baraya, and S. Garba. (2014). Proventricular-ventricular impaction in a 4-month old ostrich (struthio camelus): a case report, Proceedings of the sixty-third western poultry disease conference April 1st to 5th, 2014 Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico. https://aaap.memberclicks.net/assets/WPDC/wpdc_2014.pdf
22. Bello, M.B., Kazeem, H.M., Oladele, S.B., Fatihu, M.Y., Tambuwal, F.M, Jibril, A.H. and Raji, A.A (2013): Enzyme linked immonosorbent assay based detection of antibodies to peste des petits ruminants virus in camels presented for slaughter at Sokoto municipal abbatoir, Northwestern Nigeria. Camel- International Journal of Veterinary Science : 1(1):1-12.
23. Raji AA, Magaji AA , Bello M.B., Lawal MD , Mamuda A and Yahaya MS (2013): Prevalence of Gastrointestinal Parasites of Stray Cats: A Case Study of Two Hospitals in Sokoto Metropolis, Sokoto, Nigeria. Journal of Bacteriology and Parasitology 4: 175. doi:10.4172/2155-9597.1000175
24. Bello, M. B., Garba, H. S. and Sonfada, M. L (2008). Foetal wastage in camels slaughtered at Sokoto municipal abattoir. Sokoto Journal of Veterinary Sciences, 7(1): 46-49
PAPERS PRESENTED AT SCIENTIFIC FORA
25. Bello, M.B. (2020). COVID-19 vaccines-prospects and challenges. A paper presented at the Continuing Medical Education (CME) organized by the Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria Sokoto State Chapter at Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital held on 21st December, 2020
26. Bello, M.B. (2020). Eliminating the threat of Lassa fever using innovative vaccine technologies. A paper presented at a One day Symposium on Emerging and Re-emerging Viral diseases- The story of Lassa fever and COVID-19 held at the main Auditorium, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto on 27th February, 2020
27. Yahaya, H., Cheah, Y.K., Chee, H.Y., Sharif, A.A., Bello, M.B and Than, L.T.L. (2019). Cloning of Candida glabrata internal transcribed spacer 1 and 2 DNA region using modified primers for use as standard in nucleic acid amplification detection methods. Graduate Research symposium organized by Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, Taylor’s University, Subang Jaya 26th November, 2019.
28. Bello, M.B. (2019): Application of quantitative RT-PCR in gene expression studies. A Faculty seminar organized by the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto UDUS at the Veterinary Lecture Theatre I on 21st August, 2018.
29. Bello, M.B. (2019). Emergence of antibiotic resistance: a huge threat to global health and food security. A paper presented at the opening ceremony of the 2019 annual health week for the Association of Veterinary Medical students, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto at ETF Hall, City Campus Complex on 19th September, 2019
30. NBello, M.B. (2018): Reverse genetics of Newcastle disease virus-revolutionising medical and veterinary vaccinology. A Faculty seminar organized by the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine UDUS at the Veterinary Lecture Theatre I on 19th septetmber 2018.
31. Bello, M.B, Yusoff, K., Ideris, A., Hair-Bejo, M., Peeters, B.P.H. and Omar, A. R (2016): Construction and verification of helper plasmids for the rescue of a natural recombinant Newcastle disease virus strain IBS025/13. Book of Abstract, UK-Malaysia vaccinology workshop held at the Institute of Bioscience, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 1-4 August,2016.
32. Baraya, Y.S., Adeyeye. A.A., Sani, B., Sidi. S., Raji, A.A., Bello, M.B. and Sonfada, M.L. (2015): Dystocia associated with foetal anasarca (Hydrops foetalis) in a Nigerian breed of sheep. Book of Abstract, 6th Pan Commonwealth Veterinary Conference & 27th VAM Congress held at The Royal Chulan Hotel Kuala lumpur Malaysia, 23rd to 27th March, 2015.
33. Alkali, B. R., Hussaini, S. and Bello, M. B. (2014): Seroprevalence of Hepatitis E virus infection in Zaria, Kaduna State, Book of Abstracts, The Nigerian Veterinary Medical Association 51st Annual Congress Kaduna, 23rd to 28th November, 2014
PATENTS AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
34. Omar, A. R., Yusoff, K., Ideris, I., Hair-Bejo, M. and Bello, M. B. (2018). Reverse genetics system for producing genotype-matched live attenuated vaccine against genotype VII Newcastle disease virus. An Intellectual product (Patent) filed at Universiti Putra Malaysia's Intellectual Property (UPMIP), PI 2018703243 on 12th September 2018.